Bedale Town Council employs a Clerk and an Assistant to the Clerk.
The Clerk and Assistant Clerk provide independent, objective information and advice on policies, procedures, legal and ethical points, working with the Chairman (Mayor) to ensure the Council makes lawful decisions and that meetings are effective.
The Clerk also provides administrative and management support to the full Council and its committees, acts as its Responsible Financial Officer, implements Council decisions and is the custodian of parish records not deposited elsewhere.
The role includes:
- ensuring that the council conducts its business lawfully
- administering all the council's paperwork
- ensuring that meeting papers are properly prepared and the public is aware of meeting times
- implementing the council's decisions
- overseeing the implementation of projects
- supervising Council staff
- keeping property registers and other legal documents
- keeping themselves up to date by undertaking training & qualifications
Assistant to the Clerk: Judith Cockburn